This is recipe that my extended family has been making for generations, often without the benefit of measurements and written instructions. My cousin Casey shared this version of the recipe.
- 1 lb dry navy (or pea) beans
- 7 -- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped and lightly sauteed
- 1/2 lb uncured bacon cut into 1 -- 1 1/2" chunks
- salt & pepper to taste -- easy on the salt you can always add more as it cooks
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of summer savory (you may have to look for this herb; it's not commonly found in grocery-store spice racks)
- 1/3 stick of butter
- Briefly boil the beans, then drain, then soak overnight.
- Drain again.
- Put all ingredients into a baking dish which could be a bean pot or a casserole, mix lightly
- Add enough water to top of ingredients is moist
- Bake at 300 -- 325 for 4 to 4 1/2 hours
- Check periodically to keep moist on top. You can use water or you can use beer. A little beer in the cook also helps.
- After 4 -- 4 1/2 hours the beans should be almost creamy. Bake a little longer (keeping moist on top) if not yet done.
Great for picnics and pot-lucks!