Threw this together from a couple different recipes. It's creamy but not thick. You can reduce the liquids and add a thickener if you wand something closer to gravy consistency. This happens to be vegan and low carb. It's also delicious.
Creamy Mushroom Soup
Time: 40 min
Servings: 4 side dish
About 8 grams carbs per serving
About 4 grams protein per serving
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups dice mushrooms - I used portobello and crimini mushrooms
- generous shake of Italian seasonings or thyme
- generous black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 3 vegan bouillon cubes - I used Better Than Bouillon "No Chicken Base"
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- Heat oil in wide pot or pan. Add onions and sautee until translucent. Add garlic, mushrooms and seasonings. Cook stirring frequently until mushrooms are cooked down, about 10 min. If needed, transfer to soup pot for next step:
- Optional: use immersion blender to reduce mushrooms pieces to desired size.
- Add water and bouillon, and simmer until onions are very soft, about 20 min.
- Add soy milk and sherry. Heat the soup back to serving temperature but do not boil. Enjoy!