Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cream Cheese Brownies

This recipe is based off of Fudgy Brownies from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I've made a few changes to reduce sugar increase yumminess.
1 cup butter
12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips (divided)
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
8 oz. low fat cream cheese

- Melt butter and 6 oz. chips in large bowl in microwave. (Don't let the chips burn. Stir once butter melts.)
- Meanwhile, grease a 9 x 13 inch pan, and preheat oven to 350.
- Stir chocolate butter mixture. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon until just combined. Stir in vanilla and remaining chips.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. Combine wet and dry mixtures, mixing until just combined.
- Spread half of batter into pan. Slice cream cheese onto batter, distributing evenly over the entire area. Spread rest of batter over the layer of cream cheese.
- Bake at 350 for ~35 minutes.

8 comments:

WG said...

Since Dan is here today and yesterday, I'm going to share this with him and hope that I might coerse him into trying it. I'm drueling as I type.

John said...

In the recipe I use, the cream cheese has some sugar and vanilla beaten into it. I think I'l try this way.

Jac said...

WG, if that doesn't work, you can always make them yourself ;)

John, I've had the other kind, but I did it this way because... well... I'm lazy. I didn't want to take the extra steps or dirty an extra bowl. Also, this is how Daniel used to make them, and though his brownies were too dark for me at the time, I thought I'd like them now that that my pallet has matured. So this was my attempt at approximating his old recipe. These don't taste as rich or dark as his did, but that could be partially due to the change in my pallet. I used to prefer milk chocolate, after all. The cookbook has another recipe more like what you described, so I might try it out.

John said...

I had t try it. They're in the oven right now.

Jac said...

You'll have to tell me how they turn out. I'll probably make another batch tomorrow. I'm running out of chocolate, and I have an addiction to feed... ;)

Unknown said...

I would just like to note that I got my original recipe from the back of a Hershey semi sweet chips bag and I never added all the sugar. Second, I think this recipe looks great and I will use it next time in do brownies.

Jac said...

foil42, I just searched the Hershey website; they have a lot of recipes, but I couldn't find any that resemble your brownies. I'll try to remember to check the chip bags next time I'm at the store.

Anonymous said...

I shared this over on Yay Food!, it sounds delicious.