Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Impressions of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - the altered version of the Jane Austen classic. I never read the original, but I watched a 5-part miniseries version from the BBC. From what I gather, the miniseries was fairly faithful to the original book. I was greatly disappointed with the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The second author, Graham-Smith, wrote with all the intelligence and wit of a 6th-grader. The areas in which he inserted his prose were cartoonish and gauche. I was expecting the additions to resemble Night of the Living Dead, rather than Ninjas versus Zombies! And if GS must conjure the campiest of blood-gushing, physics-defying anime, he should bother himself to learn that the Katana is from Japan and does not belong on Shaolin-trained warriors.

3 comments:

Kyle Szklenski said...

Hm. Probably I won't read it then. Should we even donate that kind of smut to the library?

Jac said...

Heh, yes, to get sixth-grade boys to read Jane Austen.

John said...

"the Katana is from Japan and does not belong on Shaolin-trained warriors."

That was my immediate thought, too.

I sent a copy to Dan for his birthday last year, before I read it. Still, my reaction wasn't quite a negative as yours seems to be.